- A 27 ton bell to opening the games. That's a lot of pounds.
- A single boy soprano ushering in the evening on a high note while we lovingly gaze on a middle-earth-esque pastoral village complete with sheep and a tree to beat all trees.
- Kenneth Brannagh, looking slightly like a reincarnated Abraham Lincoln, but great at reciting Shakespeare.
- A very-well choreographed industrial revolution. I only wish my banker could get his groove on like that.
- Sgt. Pepper in the house.
- Poppies. A salute to the war to end all wars.
- A nod to Will and Kate.
- A bigger nod to the Queen, lovely as always in a pink frock and bonnet.
- The biggest nod of all to her handsome escort. Can you say, "Bond. James Bond?"
- The next time I jump out of a helicopter I'm using a Union Jack parachute. 'Nuf said.
- Flaming Olympic rings. Now that's hot.
- Peter Pan. J.K. reading Peter Pan. Second star to the right and straight on to morning. Only before the morning comes the nightmares. In this case, children's literature nightmares, featuring Voldemort and Cruella deVille and Captain Cook and my worst childhood nightmare, the kid catcher from Chitty Chitty Bang Bang. Luckily for us, Mary Poppins dropped in spit spot to make the rest of the evening practically perfect in every way.
- Chariots of Fire AND Mr. Bean? Who would have thought that would be possible? And yet, at the Olympics, everything is possible.
- Weird salute to the digital age. Cyber romance. Weird. Music during the cyber romance salute. Not. Weird. They we're talkin' 'bout my generation. The Rolling Stones. The Beatles. The Kinks. David Bowie. Relax. Frankie Goes to Hollywod was there. Back to Life. A wish Amy Winehouse would've been there in person, not just in spirit. And the Eurythmics sang it best with Sweet Dreams Are Made of This.
- The Parade of Nations did not disappoint. Hats off (or should I say, 'berets off?/) to the beauty, the romance, the world of Ralph Lauren Olympic wear. Very chic. Very American. Even if it was made in China. My second favorite choice goes to the Netherlands. They wore different combinations of navy and white with the COOLEST orange trench coats I've ever seen. I want that.
- While we're on the subject of the Parade of Nations, two thumbs up to Danny Boyle for playing an up tempo soundtrack while the athletes marched in. Not only did it cut nearly an hour from the ceremonies most YAWN moment, but I could sing along and enjoy fine fashion at the same time. I heard Stayin' Alive, Beautiful Day, and West End Girls. If I could have a job for the opening ceremonies this would be the one I would be most suited for. DJ Jazzy Joy and the Parade of Nations mix. Coming soon to an i-pod near you.
- Hello Mitt. Very fitting that a former Olympic organizer is now in the London crowd representing the U.S. of A. Here's hoping that next time he's in the stands he will be representing something else very American.
- Cyclists transformed into glowing doves. When the single dove took flight on his E.T. journey it took my breath away.
- Come Together cover by The Arctic Monkeys. Everyone in the world was singing, "One thing I can tell you is we got to be free." Come together. Right now. Over me.
- And now, one of my TWO favorite moments of the evening. Very few words are needed to describe my favorite surprise. Nice boat Mr. Beckham. Very. Nice. And I'm not just talking about the boat.
Take a moment and just get your gaze on.
Okay. Back to the commentary.
- The entrance of the torch into the stadium and the actual lighting of the torch was my biggest let down of the evening. Don't be a hater. It looked cool but I wanted some cooler people to make it happen.
- However, the fireworks DID NOT disappoint. Out. Of. This. World. Literally. Out of my world, anyway.
- And last, but certainly not least, Sir Paul bringing us all back to what the Olymipcs are really about. I was touched by his emotion as he crooned, "And in the end the love you make is worth the love you take." He takes a sad song and makes it better, better, better, better. And we were all the better for coming together on this magical mystery tour.
- Sweet dreams ARE made of this.
LET THE GAMES BEGIN!







We missed the Opening Ceremony - till today. Thanks for sending it to me. : )
ReplyDeleteNicely done!! I think you should have been there in person! ;)
ReplyDelete