A little over a year ago we said goodbye to Whitney on the curb at the MTC. And then we drove away. She was off to Houston, and we were on our way back to Idaho. Without her. She had committed the next 18 months of her life to serving the Lord, sharing the gospel, and living the life of a missionary. I had dedicated the next 18 months of my life to missing her every minute of every hour of every day of every month. I had also dedicated myself to no more
Coke. NONE. Not one sip. Ever. Again. I figured if she was going to do something hard, then I was going to do something hard as well. Sure enough. It has been hard. But it has been so worth it. Every time she writes a letter I can tell she is growing in so many ways that couldn't have been accomplished in any other time or place. She has had her share of hard times--fires, floods, nuclear explosions, frogs, crickets, loneliness, trials, and struggles that only the Lord could help her overcome. On the bright side, she has also had her share of reasons to rejoice--new friendships and acquaintances,substitute mothers who take care of her and love her when I can't be there, love for the cities of College Station, Tomball, and Katy, the joy that comes from seeing someone accept the gospel of Jesus Christ in their lives when they enter the waters of baptism. Her final six months are going to FLY by. Before we know it, she will be leaving Houston behind and boarding a plane to head home to Idaho. And we will be there to greet her. And I will still be
Coke-Free.

***In honor of my lover of all-things Dean Martin, I am dedicating this song to Sister Whitney Sorensen. As soon as she opened her call, she smiled and said, "It was meant to be. If Dean Martin sings about it, then I am meant to go there." Not to mention, if you follow the lyrics closely, most of them are really apropo to missionary life and missionary service. Thanks for tender mercies. All. Is. Well. ***p.s. When you hear the glass tapping at the beginning of the song, know that it was actually made by someone hitting the side of a
Coke bottle. I knew I could tie this story all together somehow!
HOUSTON--Dean Martin
Well it's lonesome in this old town. (companions help this from happening)
Everybody puts me down.
I'm a face without a name. (Just a name tag. Sister Sorensen)
Just walking in the rain. (thank goodness for umbrellas)
Goin' back to Houston, Houston, Houston.
I got holes in both of my shoes. (not. yet.)
Well I'm a walking case of the blues. (still smiling)
Saw a dollar yesterday (She hasn't run out of money $$$)
But the wind blew it away. (Two words: hurricane. season)
Goin' back to Houston, Houston, Houston.
I haven't eaten in about a week. (Not true. Texans are know for their hospitality)
I'm so hungry when I walk I squeak. (The squeaking is actually from wet shoes. Rain!)
Nobody calls me friend.(Also not true. Texas are VERY friendly, y'all!)
It's sad the shape I'm in. (Again, not true. She's happy and she's healthy. HOORAY!)
Goin' back to Houston, Houston, Houston.
Whitney has already been gone for over a year? But... I thought she just left like... last week? Goodness gracious!
ReplyDelete