...I think it was the 3rd of July. Yes, it was. July 3rd. The day my city chose to officially celebrate the birth of America. Several people were up in arms that it wouldn't be celebrated on Sunday, July 4th. They felt that changing the Party in the USA to a Saturday would dimninsh the real meaning of why we actually celebrate. Personally, I celebrate my country EVERY DAY, so Saturday or Sunday meant nothing to me. In fact, when I went to church on Sunday, the services were all the more meaningful BECAUSE I live in a land where I am free to worship how, where, and what I may. I am grateful every day for the men and women who fought to bring me those freedoms. I pray every morning and every night that the men and women who are now protecting those freedoms are also protected. I love this land. God Bless the USA!

I also love the traditions that come with celebrating my favorite holiday. We always enjoy an icy treat from Sno Shack. This year was no exception. In fact, we invited 20 of Cassidy's college friends and acquantances to join us. Flavors ranged from my personal favorite, Coconut and Cream with Extra Cream, to Cassidy's current flavor, Barbie, a few peach daquiris, Spiderman, Pina Colada (Josh said, "Yuck) and a couple of red raspberries. A good time was had by all and we sang "American Pie" all the way home in the car.

The party continued with a giant waterfight, viewing of the World Cup, karate instruction, and a barbecue to make anyone's mouth water. Burgers and dogs, potato salad, fresh fruit, yummy baked beans, pasta salad, chips, a bevy of drinks, chocolate ice cream bars, and my personal AND patriotic favorite, red. velvet. cupcakes. To. Die. For. The circle of friends gave this phase of the party two thumbs up, and even tolerated a semi-entertaining version of "Oh, Canada" for the foreigners in the crowd. (Trevor and Byron, you are welcome anytime. Even if you aren't from the home of the free and the brave!)

The culmination of the evening always ends at the Melaleuca Freedom Festival Fireworks. We wait at the park with goodies galore, glowsticks and sparklers, ultimate frisbee, and this year, blankets to keep everyone warm. When the skies over Idaho Falls lit up the night I was once again reminded that it doesn't matter which day you celebrate, or how you celebrate, as long as you celebrate that you are Proud to be an American.
Saturday, July 10, 2010
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)



No comments:
Post a Comment