Happy Birthday to Eli. Your arrival on the scene at 9:10 a.m. nine years ago today in the tenth month of the year gives us cause to celebrate. It's hard to believe, but you also weighed in at 9 pounds and 10 ounces, making 9 and 10 your lucky numbers. Not only were you the long-awaited and much-wished for son and brother, but you were the missing piece that my heart had been yearning for, long before even I knew it. You complete me. You complete us. You make our family all that it could and should be. I love you for so many reasons, but for today, here are nine of my favorites, and a tenth one, just for luck.
1. You have a grateful heart. Thank you is phrase that occurs often in your vocabulary.
2. You are inquisitive. Your inquiring mind wants to know everything it can. You may not be Nancy Drew, but you are definitely Frank or Joe Hardy when it comes to discovering new things.
3. You are a captain courageous. Especially when it comes to new adventures, like high-diving, skate-board riding, and forensic-sciencing.
4. Sportsmanship. You've got it. Don't lose it. Even if you lose at something, remember trying is way more important than winning.
5. Let's face it. Just like your sisters, you have good taste in footwear. Converse. All. Stars.
'nuf said.'
6. Those eyelashes are to die for. I know many girls who are envious of them. Some day, more than one girl will lose her heart to them. Let's keep that day far, far away. For now.
7. Even though you are growing up, and I don't just mean tall, you still have time to snuggle with me on the bed.
8. You have been wise in using the special gift that you received last year on birthday number eight. Keep listening to that still, small voice, and He will guide you. Always.
9. Even though some people confuse us for your grandparents instead of your real parents, you are always quick to remind us, "You're not too old. You're just right for me!"
Thank you Eli. You are just right for us, too!
AND FINALLY, THE BONUS:
10. If all goes as planned, you have at least ten more years to live under our roof and by my side. Ten more years to play baseball and basketball, learn more about math and science, receive the priesthood,become an Eagle Scout, get a drivers license (YIKES), and yes, probably even date a girl or two. I will keep you here as long as I can. When 19 rolls around, I will have to let you go. But only for awhile. I hope China will be ready for you, because I know you will be ready for China.



No comments:
Post a Comment