Monday, January 30, 2012

Fix You

Parenting. It's the best of times and the worst of times. For the past 24 years I have been celebrating and struggling with both. The best of times. And the worst of times. The best of times cannot be numbered on this page. They are as infinite as the stars in the sky. They are bright and beautiful and magical and have fulfilled all of my wish-upon-a-star dreams. I wouldn't trade any of them for the world. My children ARE my world. They are the lights that guide me home when the world pulls me away. They are my 'fix' when everything else crumbles around me. They are the cause of tears streaming down my face, both in the best and worst of times.

Lately, it seems as if my ability to mother my children through the worst of times is falling short. Three beautiful children. All with very distinct and unique and amazing talents and traits. Each also comes with their own set of worries and fears and trials and heartaches. More often than not, I feel at a loss. I can walk the walk and talk the talk of being 'coolest mom on the planet,' but the truth is, I'm far from being cool in the 'fixing' department. Their tears break my heart. Their fears become my fears. I worry with them and lose sleep with them and wish for all the worst of times to disappear.

Fixing. I'm not great at it. But I'm trying. I hope that when they need me I can be the light that guides them home. Home to me where together we will wipe away those tears and chase away the fears. Most importantly, I hope they remember about the ultimate source of light. He knows about their tears and fears and trials and heartaches. He is with us through the best of times and especially through the worst of times. He is the light that will guide them home to be with Him. He can fix them. He can fix me. And for that, I am grateful. Eternally grateful.

3 comments:

  1. I loved your post, Joy. I can totally relate. Thankfully you have taught them and continue to teach them about the light that they should follow; that light that heals our wounds.
    Have I told you lately how grateful I am that you are my friend? I know I am a distance away and we seldom communicate, but I count you as one of my dearest friends. Thanks for your light in my life.

    ReplyDelete
  2. So beautifully written and expresses what I think all moms feel from time to time. I completely understand the "fixing" dilemma, as I know you are well aware of. Love and miss you!

    ReplyDelete