"Hey! Hey! We're the Monkees" --The Monkees
This song takes me back to a time in my pre-teenage life when I had my first British crush. That's right. Davy Jones. Fab hair. Fab teeth. Fab accent. Fab sense of fashion and hey, even a fab set of pipes. When they start singing, "Here we come, walking down the street" my life is happy and complete. I raised my girls on The Monkees. They know all the words to all the songs. Their favorite? Well, it's Davy singing solo to Marsha Brady, "Girl, look what you've done to me." Hey! Life in the 60's didn't get much better than this. To Davy I say, "Hey, boy, look what you've done to me."
"Hey Jude"--The Beatles, but mostly featuring Sir. Paul. McCartney
Another crush. Another Brit. Hey, a girl can dream, can't she? This song is one of my top three fav's by the Fab Four. It makes me happy. Sing along. "Hey, Jude, don't make it bad. Take a sad song and make it better." What a lesson to live by. And hey, anytime Sir Paul is singing it is better. "Don't carry the world upon your shoulder." Just listen to "Hey Jude" to make it better. Better, better, better, better, better, Oh. (Crazy piano solo) Nanananananananana. "Hey Jude."
"Hey Baby"--The Jonas Brothers
Hey. I don't really know this song. It was downloaded by Cassidy. I usually skip it. Don't get me wrong. I LOVE the JB's. Just not this song. Hey. You can't win 'em all.
"Hey Leonardo (She likes me for me)--Blessed Union of Souls
This is the ultimate 'love someone for who they are and not what they have' song. "She likes me for me. Not because I look like Tyson Beckford. With the charm of Robert Redford." Hey, that tells me that it's what's on the inside that counts. "She don't care about my big screen. Or my collection of dvd's. Things like that just never mattered much to her. Plus she don't watch too much tv." Hey, a reminder that material wealth is not so important. Plus, my favorite part of the whole song? This line. "Not because she's phat like Cindy Crawford." Anyone who can use the word 'phat' in the same sentence with Cindy Crawford gets my vote. Especially since we know what kind of 'phat' he's refering to. Hey! I'm just sayin'.
"Hey There Delilah"--Plain White Tees
I fell in love with this song the first time I heard it. Hey, be honest. Who didn't? It's just a guy, singing to a girl, promising her to love her. He compares her brightness to Times Square. That's some compliment. Someday he's going to pay the bills with his guitar. Hey. You know what that means. He's on his way to becoming a superstar, and even more in love with him she'll fall. His world will never be the same and she's to blame. Hey. That's romantic. "Hey there Delilah. This one's for you." (Hey, I secretly wish I was Delilah.)
"Hey Soul Sister"--Train
I discovered this song before anyone else around me even knew it existed. I heard it on the radio in October of 2009. I told Cassidy it would be a hit. Hey. I was right. It won a Grammy for Best Pop performance by a duo or group with vocal. That's a fancy description for "Hey, this song is A.MAZ.ING." It was the most popular download on i-tunes in 2010. It's by Train. Nothing else really needs to be said. Except that it's lyrics, from start to finish are brilliant. Like "You gave my love direction. A game show love connection." It's full of references to past pop culture shows and songs. It's relatable on so many levels. "The way you can cut a rug. Watching you's the only drug I need." Hey, no one says 'cut a rug' anymore. No one but Train. "I'm so glad you have a one track mind like me." It takes more than a one track mind to really get all the innuendos in this song. But when someone uses phrases like "untrimmed chest" and "your lipstick stains on the front lobe of my left-side brain" you know they've got a hit on their hands. And hey, the use of a ukelele is always wise. Always. "Hey soul sister, ain't that Mister Mister on the radio stereo?" Turn on your radio stereo and give "Hey Soul Sister" a listen. You''ll be glad you did.
"Hey Ya"--Outkast
I saved the best for last. This may not be the best song on the list, but it is the best for simultaneous singing and Charlie Brown dancing. Hey. Look it up on youtube. It's the best happy dancing you'll ever see. And listen closely for these phrases. You can't miss them, and hey, they are classic. "What's cooler than being cool? Ice cold." "Lend me some sugar. I AM your neighbor." "Shake it, shake, shake, shake it like a Polaroid picture." And of course, reference to my girl, "Now while Beyonce and Lucy Lui and baby dolls get on the floor, you know what to do."
Hey. You know what to do. Listen to "Hey Ya" and shake it, shake, shake, shake it...
Hey. This has been fun. Y'all come back now, ya hear?
This song takes me back to a time in my pre-teenage life when I had my first British crush. That's right. Davy Jones. Fab hair. Fab teeth. Fab accent. Fab sense of fashion and hey, even a fab set of pipes. When they start singing, "Here we come, walking down the street" my life is happy and complete. I raised my girls on The Monkees. They know all the words to all the songs. Their favorite? Well, it's Davy singing solo to Marsha Brady, "Girl, look what you've done to me." Hey! Life in the 60's didn't get much better than this. To Davy I say, "Hey, boy, look what you've done to me."
"Hey Jude"--The Beatles, but mostly featuring Sir. Paul. McCartney
Another crush. Another Brit. Hey, a girl can dream, can't she? This song is one of my top three fav's by the Fab Four. It makes me happy. Sing along. "Hey, Jude, don't make it bad. Take a sad song and make it better." What a lesson to live by. And hey, anytime Sir Paul is singing it is better. "Don't carry the world upon your shoulder." Just listen to "Hey Jude" to make it better. Better, better, better, better, better, Oh. (Crazy piano solo) Nanananananananana. "Hey Jude."
"Hey Baby"--The Jonas Brothers
Hey. I don't really know this song. It was downloaded by Cassidy. I usually skip it. Don't get me wrong. I LOVE the JB's. Just not this song. Hey. You can't win 'em all.
"Hey Leonardo (She likes me for me)--Blessed Union of Souls
This is the ultimate 'love someone for who they are and not what they have' song. "She likes me for me. Not because I look like Tyson Beckford. With the charm of Robert Redford." Hey, that tells me that it's what's on the inside that counts. "She don't care about my big screen. Or my collection of dvd's. Things like that just never mattered much to her. Plus she don't watch too much tv." Hey, a reminder that material wealth is not so important. Plus, my favorite part of the whole song? This line. "Not because she's phat like Cindy Crawford." Anyone who can use the word 'phat' in the same sentence with Cindy Crawford gets my vote. Especially since we know what kind of 'phat' he's refering to. Hey! I'm just sayin'.
"Hey There Delilah"--Plain White Tees
I fell in love with this song the first time I heard it. Hey, be honest. Who didn't? It's just a guy, singing to a girl, promising her to love her. He compares her brightness to Times Square. That's some compliment. Someday he's going to pay the bills with his guitar. Hey. You know what that means. He's on his way to becoming a superstar, and even more in love with him she'll fall. His world will never be the same and she's to blame. Hey. That's romantic. "Hey there Delilah. This one's for you." (Hey, I secretly wish I was Delilah.)
"Hey Soul Sister"--Train
I discovered this song before anyone else around me even knew it existed. I heard it on the radio in October of 2009. I told Cassidy it would be a hit. Hey. I was right. It won a Grammy for Best Pop performance by a duo or group with vocal. That's a fancy description for "Hey, this song is A.MAZ.ING." It was the most popular download on i-tunes in 2010. It's by Train. Nothing else really needs to be said. Except that it's lyrics, from start to finish are brilliant. Like "You gave my love direction. A game show love connection." It's full of references to past pop culture shows and songs. It's relatable on so many levels. "The way you can cut a rug. Watching you's the only drug I need." Hey, no one says 'cut a rug' anymore. No one but Train. "I'm so glad you have a one track mind like me." It takes more than a one track mind to really get all the innuendos in this song. But when someone uses phrases like "untrimmed chest" and "your lipstick stains on the front lobe of my left-side brain" you know they've got a hit on their hands. And hey, the use of a ukelele is always wise. Always. "Hey soul sister, ain't that Mister Mister on the radio stereo?" Turn on your radio stereo and give "Hey Soul Sister" a listen. You''ll be glad you did.
"Hey Ya"--Outkast
I saved the best for last. This may not be the best song on the list, but it is the best for simultaneous singing and Charlie Brown dancing. Hey. Look it up on youtube. It's the best happy dancing you'll ever see. And listen closely for these phrases. You can't miss them, and hey, they are classic. "What's cooler than being cool? Ice cold." "Lend me some sugar. I AM your neighbor." "Shake it, shake, shake, shake it like a Polaroid picture." And of course, reference to my girl, "Now while Beyonce and Lucy Lui and baby dolls get on the floor, you know what to do."
Hey. You know what to do. Listen to "Hey Ya" and shake it, shake, shake, shake it...
Hey. This has been fun. Y'all come back now, ya hear?



I'm so glad I inspired this. It turned out great. Hey, I'm just saying. As Outkast would say, "Get on the blog. You know what to do." Also, Train's usually ride on two tracks unless they are a monorail, but they can still sing about having a one track mind. Hey, let's listen to more music later.
ReplyDeleteFab.U.Lous. I thoroughly enjoyed this. Minus the part where you said you didn't like "Hey Baby." I think in all reality you just haven't given the JB's a real chance with this. But as I am sitting in the library with my headphones in it is a good thing I didn't decide to start Charlie Brown dancing to "Hey Ya." It probably would have been a huge distraction to the study environment.
ReplyDelete