
They say the number 13 is unlucky. I beg to differ. Just a little over 13 years ago, we left our friends in Utah and made the move back to Idaho. The year was 1998. One year prior, an unknown author was beginning to make a name for herself in the world of children's literature. I first discovered J.K. Rowling's story on the TODAY show. I was intrigued by this woman who wrote an entire novel on cocktail napkins in a pub. It was summer, and seemed the perfect time to introduce my girls to a new up-and-coming series of books. Our journey to the local library indicated that all copies of book one,
Harry Potter and the Sorcerer's Stone, were already checked out, so we went straight for book two,
Harry Potter and the Chamber of Secrets. Generally speaking, reading books out of order is not recommended, but in this case, it was the hook we needed. Between the three of us, we had it read in little less than a week. And the magic began.

Each installment of the series was anxiously awaited. Book purchasing parties were held, butter beer was consumed, spells were practiced, and magical chalk drawings appeared in our driveway. Make believe games of Quidditch took place in our backyard. My girls and their friends became experts at standing in line for reserved copies at Barnes and Noble, only to rush home and begin the next chapter in this magical journey. Once the coveted copies were obtained, the read-a-thon would begin. No one would eat, drink, or speak until it had been devoured from cover to cover. Then, and ONLY then, when all parties had finished, the discussions could begin. And begin they did. Chapter titles were memorized and analyzed. Favorite characters were established. Plots were criticized. Endings were re-written. Loud laughter often ensued, and tears flowed freely as the novels began to become more complex.

I have fond memories of my girls and their time spent with Mr. Potter and friends. Whitney spent the entire time at my 20 year class reunion picnic reading book three,
Harry Potter and the Prisoner of Azkaban under a tree. Cassidy and our neighbor Morgan read book five,
Harry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix simultaneously on the front porch. Book seven,
Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows, came out two days before Cassidy was to leave for a trek in Martin's Cove. She read as long and as hard as she could, but had 50 pages left when it was time to go. Whitney woke up early, took the book, and copied all 50 pages so Cassidy could read it on the bus. Another act of magic, all in the name of Harry Potter. A few years later, Whitney's generosity was rewarded when she actually visited the haunts of Harry in London, being sorted into Griffyndor, and taking her turn at Platform 9 3/4.
And then came the movies. Once again, my girls practiced the game of waiting in line to see if what they had imagined in their minds could transcend onto the silver screen. And it did. Time after time after time. Viewing the movies for the first time only made them want to see them again and again and again. And yes, I let them skip school sometimes to see the movies. Part four,
Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire, warranted special t-shirts, CEDRIC LIVES. Well, we all know how that ended. Yes, Harry Potter taught us a lot of lessons about real life, even if it was supposed to be make-believe. Whitney left for her mission three weeks before
Harry Potter and the Half-Blood Prince, part six, arrived in the theater. It was a great sacrifice for her to leave her family behind, and a great sacrifice as well to leave her beloved Harry. She also missed number seven, part 1,
Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows. However, in order to show loyalty for her sister, Cassidy made up for it by viewing each installment at least 4 times. And for Christmas that year, her best friend Cody gave her an authentic Ginny wand, perfect for spell-casting and wizard-catching.

Tonight, the era of magic comes to an end. Whitney and Cassidy grew up with the magic, anticipating each new book and movie with a passion and excitement I envy. I feel sad that Eli has it all within his reach, and that he will never know what it meant to dream and imagine and wonder what would happen next. I know what my girls have been dreaming about for a long time now, and tonight their dream will come true. For isn't it true, that, 'a kiss is just a kiss.' In our little corner of the world, Whitney was always Hermione, and Cassidy was always Ginny. One wanted Ron, the other, Harry. One day, when their Ron and Harry come along, I hope they have just a bit of the magic in them that these marvelous characters have portrayed. I can't ask for much more than that. To quote Albus Dumbledore, "And now, Harry, let us step out into the night, and pursue that flightly temptress, adventure." Whitney/Hermione and Cassidy/Ginny, don't be too sad. Your real adventures await you, and that, my girls, is where the real magic begins.
A fitting tribute. Especially that "flighty temptress." But Sirius-ly...where is Ron? I have been waiting 13 years for that kiss. Pay up, Ginger. Pay. Up.
ReplyDeleteWe all do know what happened to Cedric after the fourth one. He turned into a vampire and currently resides in Fork's Washington. Sparkly skin and all. I really will miss my Harry Potter though. It is very bittersweet.
ReplyDeleteGreat tribute Joy! We will all miss our Harry-fix. Rach said the movie was the best one yet, and apparently will remain so. A fitting end to an era.
ReplyDeleteI LOVE this. Perfect tribute. Excellent word choice too. Haha. Also, I love Whitney's comment. Hahaha. I DO believe in Magic!
ReplyDeleteAnd here I am, blog stalking everyone. I was one of those kids that became an expert at rushing into Barnes and Noble. And I certainly was involved in those conversations about the books. I miss those days. Thank you for taking me to Barnes and Noble with Whitney and Co. and for encouraging our Cedric Lives t-shirts. I could still talk for days about Harry Potter. This post just made me smile, even months after the last movie came out. The magic lives on!
ReplyDelete