Women's gymnastics. I always think they've jumped ahead a bit with that term since most of these girls who compete on this team look more like pre-teens than actual women. That being said, they deserve a great deal of respect for the courage they show in executing such death defying skills as the triple-double-quadruple flip and the fourteen and a half rotation back handspring with a triple twist. Seriously. I double-dog dare you to try some of the things they do. NOT REALLY KIDS. DO NOT TRY THIS AT HOME. This year all the hard work paid off. A USA Women's gymnastics team hasn't brought home the team gold in like, for.ev.er. Way to go girls! That glittery eyeshadow and those bedazzled uniforms made those gold medals sparkle brighter than an infamous vampire in a field of flowers.
This little dynamo became the sweetheart of the gym. Moving away from her family to train over 2000 miles away from home, she almost gave up and left the sport. But her desire to win overcame that homesickness and she went on to surprise the world by winning a gold medal. Individual All Around. Gabby Douglas. First African American woman to win the Individual All Around. Way to go!
You've gone and made this sport your home.
And now for my favorite part of the Olympic gym. The parents. They devote their lives to support their children in this sport. They sacrifice. They scrimp. They go without. They wear flags in their hair. They pay great amounts of money to travel to London to watch their children compete in this once-in-a-lifetime experience and then they COVER THEIR EYES because they are too nervous to watch. Go. Figure.
Some gymnastic parents become more interesting to watch than their actual children. I was fascinated by this mother/father combination. At one point I thought his veins on his neck were going to burst all over the people in front of him. And the mother. Well, the mother has a very limited vocabulary. "Stick it." "Stick it, Aly." My personal favorite. "Stick it, Aly, stick it." After awhile I found myself wanting to say, "Stick it"to the mom. "Stick a flag in your hair and stop talking." It gave me an idea for a reality show featuring parents of gymnastics. Stick It would be a great title, but if it ever comes to fruition, I'm going with my first choice. Flipped Off. You know, like flipped off the balance beam, or flipped off the uneven bars, or flipped off at Aly's mom for saying, "Stick it." Or that other mother for wearing a flag in her bun. I'm flipped off that this post is about to end. Did I stick it?
Now that's a proud mama. All the hard work and sacrifice and letting her little girl go 2000 miles away from home in order to work toward a dream has brought her to this moment. I can almost hear her singing in her heart as she watches that golden moment in Gabby's life. "Hold on, to me as we go. As we roll down this unfamiliar road. And although this wave is stringing us along, just know you’re not alone 'cause I’m going to make this place your home. Settle down, it'll all be clear. Don't pay no mind to the demons they fill you with fear.The trouble it might drag you down. If you get lost, you can always be found.
Just know you’re not alone 'cause I’m going to make this place your home."






I think you need to watch the movie, Stick It, with Jeff Bridges in it. Silly, but comical.
ReplyDelete