Sunday, February 13, 2011

Jar of HeArTs

I left something off of the 'heart' songs list.

  • Jar of Hearts

I was introduced to this song last week by one of my besties at work. The more I listen to it, the more I enjoy it. Don't get me wrong. It's not a feel-good song. In fact, it's full of a lot of angst. But I love the imagery. Love. It.

"Who do you think you are? Runnin' 'round leaving scars. Collecting your jar of hearts. And tearing love apart. You're gonna catch a cold. From the ice inside your soul."

"I hear you're asking all around. If I am anywhere to be found. But I have grown too strong to ever fall back in your arms. I've learned to live."

"I wish I had missed the first time that we kissed."

I wish I had written those lyrics. They speak to everyone who has ever been wronged in a relationship, even if it wasn't really a relationship, but the dream of becoming one. When Christina Perri starts singing, "Who do you think you are?" I just want to yell to my daughters and their friends and my nieces and all of the fabulous single women of the universe: "GIRL. POWER." Find out who you are and then be it. Having a man by your side to support you through the good and bad is amazing and wonderful, but do not EVER think that a 'he' is the only thing that will really make you a worthwhile 'she.' It's not. So, while you're on the road to becoming the better half of someone else's heart, protect yours at all costs and don't let it become someone else's souvenir in their personal 'Jar of HeArTs.'

***There is a disclaimer here that I couldn't stand to leave off. When she sings, "You're gonna catch a cold, from the ice in your soul." don't you just want to shout, "Hello. Edward. She's talkin' about you." Team Jacob. All. The. Way."

***I also couldn't end this post without sharing the quote that I know probably inspired the lyrics to 'Jar of Hearts' in the first place.

"Never allow someone to be your priority while allowing yourself to be their option."

The end. Seriously. Fin.

4 comments:

  1. Sounds like a song for all the Jimmys in the world. And the Edwards, I guess. Good connection. This song is the other half of "Irreplaceable." What happens after she sends him off in that cab and gets a little sad about it, but still knows she did the right thing.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You were very correct, I do love this quite a bit. And I so needed to read this today too. You are probably my favorite person ever! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Joy, you're great and fabulous and why don't I know this song?

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love this song too.
    Your post was perfect!!!!

    ReplyDelete